I 751 Cover Letter Divorce

Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
© 1995-
Immigration LLC.

  1. 07-15-2017, 10:49 AM#1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017

    I-751 Divorce Waiver Evidence Advice Urgent Help please

    Good morning everyone.

    Came USA F1: 01/2015; Married: 10/2015; CPR: 09/2016; Living separate: 05/2017; CPR expires: 09/2018; Now She is proceeding for divorce
    Finally after all the hurdles I am assuming I have no other way without proceeding to divorce. I tried each and everything; but she does not want to continue because of unknown issue (that she does not want me to know). So here is my position: She is filing for divorce, My CPR will expire on 09/2018, I need to stay till 2021 to complete my education, I wish to continue my life here since in last three years i set up my life here. More or less I have the following evidences. Please advice me if I am missing something or any advice:
    > I will add a cover letter detailing the relationship from beginning till end- Where, when and how
    > Marriage certificate, Our driving license (same address), birth certificate, our passports
    > Divorce paper (after the divorce gets completed)
    > Joint apt. lease from 10/2015 to till date
    > Joint light bill, Joint water bill
    > Internet and cable line under HER name in same address
    > T-mobile plan under MY name including me, her and her two brothers
    > Joint auto insurance
    > Jointly purchased 3 vehicles&auto loans and 1 more vehicle (cash paid before marriage) where she was included in Title after marriage
    > 2 Joint Checking accounts
    > 2 years Joint Tax return
    > Walmart and Sam's Club Spouse Card as her spouse (She is an employee of Walmart now)

    > Some letters from human services, Govt organizations, insurance, banks, schools under our both name in same address
    > 2 marriage counselors papers (Counseling as attempt to save relation)
    > HER Amazon card and Prime Orders showing different purchases from the beginning of relation by me, her, her brothers in different addresses
    > Police report of her abandonment
    > JOINT Police report of family violence where she convicted me taking her phone and I convicted her for physical abuse (I have affidavit of neighbors who witnessed)
    > One hotel vouchers during our trip to another city
    > 15-20 Pictures from beginning of relation of us, some with family and some with friends in different occasions
    > My all emails and correspondence during living separate
    > Her verbal conversation records where she admitted beating me
    > Our text messages, chat and call history of last one year.
    > One affidavit from HER, One from Land lord, One from neighbor, One from common friend, One from our ex roommate (No Affidavit from her family because she does not want me to see them even as she ill-intendedly placed me as an awful person in front of them)
    > Proofs of her some recent suspicious communication with her ex-bf and one other guy
    > Proof of her threats to me if I try to meet her family
    > My psychologist's prescription for depression, anxiety and insomnia during her living separate and my attempts to get her back

    As per other threads on evidences; I am missing the followings/Red Flags:
    > We never had 401K or Life insurance or Joint savings account
    > We never had health insurance continuously since she was having medicare through Govt
    > I don't have hundreds of pictures since she had all of them and she is saying she deleted them! Even I have that text records where I was asking for pictures and she was ignoring my requests
    > I was arrested for 7 hours for a Class C misdemeanor with my friend (he stole a head phone and put that in my bag even without my notice at Walmart!!) Before Conditional Green Card Approval; Later on it was dismissed because I was not at fault and I proved that.

    Based on above statements; any advice for :

    > Any additional evidences needed? Or Am I missing something?
    > Should I go for Good Faith Marriage Waiver or Abuse Waiver or Extreme Hardship Waiver(Considering my Financial ties, Educational issues and Existing loans at USA) ?
    > Should I try to get an affidavit any how from her family even though she does not want me to meet them?

    Any helpful advice welcome.

  2. 07-18-2017, 03:39 PM#2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    You have not been together for 2 years, so there is no basis upon which to give you a green card...and changing back to F1 status would require that you convince somebody that you would leave the US after studying, which is not what it sounds like..

If you’ve been granted legal resident status within the United States on a conditional basis after filing for residence based on marriage to a U.S. citizen, your status will automatically terminate after two years. You must, in order to change your status to permanent U.S. resident and avoid having to leave the United States, submit immigration Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence, to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If, after receiving and reviewing your I-751, USCIS isn't convinced that your marriage is the real thing and you meet the various other criteria for U.S. residence, it may issue a denial.

The problems usually leading to USCIS denying your petition include:

  1. late submission of the I-751
  2. insufficient documentation to convince USCIS that you meet the requirements for permanent residence, and
  3. underlying problems in the claim, such as a fraudulent marriage that has fallen apart. 

Late Submission of Form I-751

This application has a strictly enforced time frame in which it may be filed with the USCIS, namely up to 90 days before the expiration date of your conditional residency. If you file early, the petition will be sent back to you for later filing. (This isn't really a denial -- it just means USCIS wouldn't even let your application in the door.)

If you file late, however, your I-751 will be immediately rejected and your case referred to immigration court for removal proceedings. You will receive notification, including an explanation as to why the application was denied. Talk to a lawyer immediately.

Insufficient Documentation

You will be required, in order for your application to be approved, to show that your marriage is, in fact, legitimate and ongoing -- or that, if the marriage has ended, you qualify for a waiver.

You'll need to carefully assemble and choose documents to support your claim.

For example, if you're still married and are filing jointly with your U.S. citizen spouse, you'll want to provide copies of things like your children's birth certificates, apartment lease or property ownership deed showing both you and your spouse’s names, copies of any bills related to the ownership of that property (such as utility or electric bills), as well as financial statements that show joint checking or savings accounts.

Take a careful look at these documents before submitting them. Make sure they clearly show both your names (if not on each document, then in combination when reviewing all the documents).

Also make sure the documents cover the appropriate time period, namely the two years (or almost two years) since you were approved for conditional residence. Some couples make the mistake of submitting the same documents they did when first getting their residency, such as wedding pictures. USCIS isn't interested in these at this point -- it wants to know what's been going on for the last two years and to make sure you haven't just split up and are faking the marriage. 

Underlying Ineligibility

Of course, some applicants really don't deserve U.S. residence, because their marriage is fraudulent. If this is the case, you can expect a denial at this point -- or to have your case reexamined in a few years when you apply for U.S. citizenship.

But fraudulent marriages aren't the only reason a case may be denied. For example, you must be fingerprinted (biometric testing) as part of your I-751 application process. The prints will be used for a crime check by the FBI. If you are discovered to have a criminal record, you may be found inadmissible to the United States, and your permanent residence denied.

Preparing the documentation for an I-751 requires careful work, and you might want to hire an attorney to help, in order to avoid the possibility of denial. This is especially true if you won't be filing jointly with your U.S. citizen spouse, but will need to request a waiver.

Can You Appeal a Denial?

If your case is denied, you will receive a letter from USCIS explaining the reason for the decision. That letter will also include a Notice to Appear (NTA) in immigration court for removal proceedings. (See 8 C.F.R. 216.4(d)(2).)

No Right to Appeal

Unfortunately, immigrants do not have the right to appeal a denial of their I-751 application -- at least not in the strict legal sense of the word “appeal,” which usually means that your case is reviewed by a higher court or body based on written materials. But you will have a chance to present your case again before the immigration judge, as you defend yourself against removal from the United States. If all goes well, the judge may grant you permanent residence. But be sure to get a lawyer’s help with this.

Also, if the reason for the denial was that you failed to turn in your Form I-751, you may be able to avoid removal proceedings altogether, by acting quickly. If you can get your I-751 turned in before your case is transferred to the immigration court, and you supply a good reason why you were late (backed up by documentary proof), your case may be approved without having to go to court.

See a Lawyer

You should immediately hire an immigration lawyer to help you deal with the denial of your Form I-751 or if you're confused by USCIS's requests for additional documents. The lawyer will analyze your case and explain your options.

Make sure to find a lawyer long before the court hearing date that USCIS sets for you. The lawyer will need time to review your case, suggest documents that you should collect, and perhaps help your friends and other contacts prepare affidavits supporting your claim for permanent residence.

Whatever you do, don’t miss your court date. Failure to attend will result in an automatic order of removal from the United States (deportation).

0 Replies to “I 751 Cover Letter Divorce”

Lascia un Commento

L'indirizzo email non verrà pubblicato. I campi obbligatori sono contrassegnati *